Federal and State Financial Aid

Table of Contents

Grants can come from the Federal government, the State government, Baker College and private organizations. Unlike Scholarships, which are merit-based, a grant award is typically based on financial need and does not have to be repaid.

To be considered for Federal and State Aid students are required to submit a FAFSA at studentaid.gov as early as October 1 of your senior year in high school and every year you enroll in college. For priority consideration for State financial aid programs, complete the FAFSA before May 1.

Federal Grants

  • Federal Pell Grant - Pell Grant funds are available to undergraduate students who have not received their first bachelor degree. The amount depends on the student’s financial need, cost to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. 
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) - The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is available to undergraduate students. The amount depends on the student’s financial need, cost to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. Baker College awards SEOG, on a first come first serve basis, to returning students who qualify for Pell and who demonstrate the greatest financial need. 
  • IRAQ and Afghanistan Grant - A student may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if they are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of their Expected Family Contribution but meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements and their parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11 and they were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of their parent’s or guardian’s death.

For more information on Federal grants visit studentaid.gov.

State Aid

  • Children of Veterans Tuition Grant - provides undergraduate tuition assistance to students older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who are the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. The veteran must have died or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of military service. 
  • Fostering Futures Scholarship – provides scholarships to students who have experienced foster care in Michigan on or after age 13.  Students must also demonstrate financial need to qualify.
  • Michigan Achievement Scholarship - available to Students who graduate from high school in Michigan with a diploma or certificate of completion or achieved a high school equivalency certificate in 2023. Students and their parents must be Michigan residents since July 1 of the prior year, must complete the FAFSA, have an EFC of 25,000 or lower and attend college full time within 15 months of high school graduation. Eligible students may receive a scholarship of $1,000-$4,000 per academic year.
  • Michigan Competitive Scholarship - is available to undergraduate students pursuing their first degree and is based on both financial need and merit. To be considered, a student must take the SAT (Class of 2017 and beyond) prior to entering college and achieve a qualifying score of at least 1200.
  • Michigan Tuition Grant - is available to undergraduate Michigan residents with financial need who plan to attend or are attending a Michigan degree-granting, non-profit independent college.
  • Tuition Incentive Program - encourages students to complete high school by providing college tuition assistance after graduation. Eligible students are those who have or have had Medicaid coverage for 24 months within a 36 month period as identified by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).

Note: Ensure Baker College is your school of choice with the State of Michigan by visiting your MISSG Portal. Baker College must be listed first on your FAFSA for all State Aid. Visit our knowledge base article for more information.

For more information on State grants visit michigan.gov/mistudentaid.


Submit a Ticket


Article ID: 93377
Tue 11/26/19 10:38 AM
Thu 11/9/23 9:47 AM

Related Services / Offerings (1)

Submit a general question about financial aid, documents financial aid is requesting, or your financial aid offer.