Baker College Student Billing Electronic Communications

Electronic Communications

Baker College utilizes electronic communication, rather than paper, whenever possible for the conduct of official business processes and notifications. Electronic communication between Baker College and the student or authorized payer may be provided (1) by e-mail to the Baker College email assigned to the student or the last e-mail address provided by the authorized payer, (2) by access to information presented electronically on the MyBaker web sites, or (3) by access to a web site that Baker College will generally designate in advance for such purposes. Communications to be provided electronically may include, but are not limited to:
  • Student Billing Account Balances
  • Course and Fees Statements
  • Baker College Fee Catalog and Payment of Miscellaneous Fees
  • Payment of Tuition Invoices
  • Payment of Admissions Fees
  • Submitting a Title IV Authorization Form
  • Selecting a BankMobile Disbursements Refund Preference
  • Notifications of Changes in Student Billing Account Activity
  • Payment Plan Enrollment, Payments, and Reminders
  • Announcements of New or Upcoming Electronic Features
This also includes electronic delivery of form 1098-T. Students wishing to receive a paper copy of the 1098-T form can opt out of electronic delivery by visiting the 1098-T Delivery Method option on MyBaker 

Consent for Electronic Communications

The electronic communications policy at Baker College is part of a global “Consent to do Business Electronically” agreement and is presented to students prior to registering each semester at Baker College. Students provide their consent for electronic communications as part of the registration agreement. Once consent is given it is in effect for the duration of the registered enrollment period, or until a request for withdrawal of consent is received from the student.
Although, Baker College reserves the right to provide records in paper format at any time, a student’s consent to conduct business electronically with Baker College is also an agreement that Baker College is not required to provide those same communications in a paper format. Students wishing to retain a paper copy of any records provided electronically can do so by printing or saving a copy of the communication. 

Hardware and Software Requirements:

For the hardware and software requirements please visit the knowledge based article, "Minimum Technical Requirements".

Updating Student Records

It is the student’s responsibility to provide Baker College with accurate and complete e-mail addresses, mailing addresses, and phone contact information and to maintain and update promptly any changes in this information.
Students can update their address, and other contact information with Baker College on MyBaker
  • Login to MyBaker
  • Select “My profile & settings” under your login icon (top right corner of the screen)
  • Select "Contact Information"

Withdrawing Consent for Student Billing Electronic Communications:

You may withdraw your consent to electronically conduct business with Baker College at any time. However, a withdrawal of this consent may result in the loss of access to the Student Portal, which includes an inability to view student billing account balances, enroll in payment plans, or make payments online. To withdraw consent, submit a request in writing to the Accounts Receivable Processing Center, 1020 S. Washington St., Owosso, MI 48867 or by e-mail to Any withdrawal of your consent to conduct business electronically will become effective only after Baker College has had a reasonable period of time to process your request.
Submit a Ticket


Article ID: 92948
Wed 11/20/19 7:44 PM
Fri 2/16/24 12:30 PM

Related Articles (4)

Answers to frequently asked questions about tax form 1098-T.
General information on the use of tax form 1098-T and how to access the document.
Information on the terms associated with the delivery of tax form 1098-T.
Guide for Students to Navigate the Invoice Functionality on the Student Billing Portal

Related Services / Offerings (1)

Submit questions about an account balance, payments, recent account activity, or residence hall charges.